Sunday, October 13, 2013

Car Accident from Friday

So, of course, the day after I write about looking for the good in everyday things, I get in a car accident. Luckily it wasn't our fault, we were all ok, and I wasn't driving. I don't remember too much about it actually happening, but I do remember that right after it happened, I didn't know what happened and then I thought, "Oh my gosh... we just got hit by a car."

I heard Calvin start crying and looked at his face and he was really scared. I told him it'd be ok, and I got out of the car to make sure he was fine and ran over to the other car to see if she was ok. The driver was saying she was in a lot of pain. Her airbag deployed and she had a hard time breathing. She was shaking really bad, and she had bruises on her arms and little "air bag burns" that were bleeding. I hugged her and held her as she cried and she called her boyfriend. She had just bought her car. She kept saying that she had a green arrow, but I know that we had a green light because we were stopped, and it turned green and then went... So we were obviously paying attention...

The lady was making a left hand turn and we were going straight. We were stopped so luckily we hadn't been going very fast by the time it all happened.

Someone who saw it called 911 for us and then drove away. It took a while for the cops and ambulance and fire trucks to get there but they all showed up. I think probably 8 vehicles for a little accident. My friend's car wasn't damaged too bad. Just some front left bumper action, but the other car had major damage. The entire front of her car was smashed.

Once the cops showed up she was taken to the hospital on a gurney. She was definitely in a state of shock, and I realize that I sort of was too. I had a major adrenaline rush because somehow, I was totally calm and knew exactly what to do, and got it done, and made sure everyone was taken care of before I relaxed enough to make sure that I, myself, was ok. The cops pointed out the bruise that was on my neck from my seatbelt, that luckily I was wearing, because I have never been good at remembering to wear my seatbelt. It's been a couple days now and I'm extremely sore and have been having a series of bad headaches. Hopefully they will go away soon. I get a little more sore everyday. I hope Calvin isn't sore. The kids both seem to be doing well.

My friend that was driving is from the Netherlands and hasn't been here very long, so she didn't know exactly what to do or how to handle it. Her English is really good, and she is a nurse. She is a really good driver and takes really good care of her car. She kept telling me that she was so glad that I was with her. She stayed calm the whole time and I was really impressed with the way that she handled everything. And I'm lucky to have her as a friend.

Anyway, I know that accidents happen, and it wasn't anyone fault because no one would do it on purpose. But the good that came from this is that when we got Calvin out of the car, we pointed out all of the helpers, and he wasn't scared of the sirens. He was happy to see trucks and fire trucks and cop cars. He did so well, and so did Ellie. We kept saying to Calvin that everyone was there to help us and that there were a lot of good people. And of course, that everyone was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment