Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gratitude: My Mom

Since I can't sleep, I thought this would be a great time to post about my mom. I've been putting this one off because I knew it was going to be so long.

I can't put in words exactly how grateful I am for her. Nothing I can say will ever be good enough, to me, to thank her for everything. I can't express how much I love her, through writing. As I am starting this post, my heart is exploding with so much that I want to say, that I may not be able to organize my thoughts well enough to express exactly what I want to say about my mom.

My mom is good at everything she does. She is the strongest person I know. She can open any pickle jar :) But seriously, she is the strongest person, in an emotional sense. I rarely see my mom cry, not because she doesn't have feelings, but because she is (private about her feelings)?. When I have seen her cry, it's usually at spiritual settings, where most of her tears are from happiness, or expressiveness for love of her family and the Savior. My mom holds herself together well, and she has learned to be an independent woman. She is classy.

I see myself having some of the same life experiences that my mom has gone through. When I get in a rut, I think, "What did mom do" or "What would mom do?" When I am having a rough day with my two kids I wonder how my mom did it. When I ask my mom how she did it, she says "I just did". For example, a recent struggle I had was that Mike was gone at officer training for 15 weeks. It was really hard, but there was a time that my dad lived in New Jersey and we lived in Utah, and my mom was basically a single mom for that little while. I can't imagine the loneliness she must have felt, because even though there are people that love you around you, the love of your life isn't there, and you need them.

My mom used to give us the answer "Because I said so" when we asked her why we had to do something. I hated that.

If I ever need advice (or even when I don't) I know that my mom will come up with a solution for any of my problems. And she will ponder on it, for sometimes days at a time, and even when I'm not thinking about it anymore, my mom will send an email out and have an answer for me.

My mom is amazing. She will do whatever she can for anyone. She has taught me how to serve others, and when you serve, you do it happily, with your whole heart.

My mom is also the best grandma. She loves to sit and read books with Calvin. She could rock my kids in a rocking chair all day long if they'd let her. She knows how to calm them down when I can't.

My mom is my best friend. She always will be. I miss her everyday. We have so much in common and I always feel the need to talk to her. I call her at least 3 times a week, but mostly every day. I love her more than she will ever know. She has been such a great example and I hope I can be just like her one day. I hope I can live up to the high standards she has set for being a mom.

Love you mom! Can't wait to see you again soon. (This sounds like my mom died, she is very much alive and well, I just love her to death I guess... :))

No comments:

Post a Comment